Hi, I’m Dodie. My journey started with my own pets who struggled with behavior issues. Through working with several trainers, I came to understand what reinforces the behaviors that we can find troublesome and learned how positive reinforcement can help us build and strengthen new behaviors that we find more acceptable.
After a training and enrichment internship at a local shelter and seeing pets surrendered for behavior issues by their distraught pet parents, I knew I could help and began my training journey through CATCH Canine Trainers Academy and am working towards my CPDT-KA.
Through my experiences, I’ve learned that changing behaviors requires a multifaceted approach that includes regular veterinary care, especially if there is a sudden behavior change; clear communication, including learning basic body language in pets; proper nourishment; and enrichment activities that include exercise, decompression and mental stimulation.
As I’ve helped other pet parents with their pets, I’ve realized that training plans can, and absolutely should, take into consideration the pet parent’s lifestyle and schedule. I take the time to empathetically listen to and understand the pet parent’s goals and availability for training and enrichment. Together, the pet parents and I come up with a plan that will suit them and their pets’ needs.
- M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction (Emphasis: Online Teaching)
- 10+ years online teaching experience
- Training and Enrichment Internship 2018
- CATCH Canine Trainers Academy (Expected Completion 2021)
- Dog Behavior Conference 2020 and 2021
- FDSA, IAABC Lemonade Conference 2020 and 2021
- Conference Unleashed (2020)
- ClickerExpo (2021)
- Member of Pet Professional Guild
- Member of International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants